Attendees: Jo Dee Bernal, Linda Devenow, Louann Friedland, Angela Haney, Joy Jorgensen, Jennifer Hall, Cheryl Lyons, Laurie Solum, Donetta Sheffold, Alice Tucker, Mark Hammerschmith.
Absent: Michelle Mahana
Call to Order at 1:00 PM - Laurie
University Day Booth Update - Laurie/University Day Booth Committee
- We have Booth 18, right inside the door - room organized differently this year.
- Louann reports that setup is planned and ready
- Michelle is working on getting more prizes for "membership enroll by 9/30" drive.
ACTION: Laurie will let us know if there is electricity in the booth for the registration computer.
ACTION: Michelle will pass along the prize information to Louann to develop signage for the booth.
Silent Auction of Baskets /Fund Raising - Jennifer/Fund Raising Committee
- Board agreed this was a good idea from the Fund Raising Committee.
- Next Month's basket theme will be First Aid/Emergency Preparedness.
- It was decided that we should have a Fall PFLA Kickoff at Woodstock's in October - event should be in the evening and start right after work at 5:30.
ACTION: Everyone should get next month's basket items to Jennifer by Monday, 9/22 (note: this has been changed by Jennifer to Monday, 9/29).
ACITON: Alice will send basket to Jennifer.
ACTION: Angela will contact Woodstock's to arrange for the event.
Results of Daryl Dixon Workshop - Joy/Group
- Joy reported that the cost for the workshop was $2313.94 as of this meeting. Receipts $3560.00, not including the IS partnership incoming monies. We have 95 members as of this meeting and we are staring the year with $8500.00 in our treasury.
- The consensus was that this was a very good professional development event. Everyone appreciated Daryl's non-confrontive style with anecdotal stories from his own experiences to convey sometimes difficult diversity issues. Nothing but positive responses have been heard from participants.
- This event really proved the effectiveness of partnerships for our larger Professional Development Events we hold once or twice a year.
Professional Development Plans - Laurie/Group
- A suggestion was made to include the new basketball coach - possibly as a two hour Mini Professional Development Event in the spring.
- Alice suggested that the Research Office has interest in partnering with an event.
ACTION: Everyone should send ideas for a Spring09/Fall09 Professional Development Events to Angela and Alice.
Newsletter - Cheryl
- Cheryl is working on the next newsletter requested ideas and input. Group suggested: Thank you to Past President and introduction to new President; something on the "Our Heros" Award.
ACTION: Send input to Newsletter to Cheryl by Friday 9/12.
ACTION: Cheryl will have the Newsletter complete and provide 50 copies for the University Day Booth.
Other Discussion Items - Group
ACTION: Cheryl will work on making the next Monthly Meeting announcement more "flashy" - as much as can be done in a plain text email. It was suggested that she add a note to the membership to "bring a friend" to the meeting.
ACTION: Laurie will check with Michelle to make sure that the PFLA email list is updated with the new members.
ACTION: Everyone was invited to nominate "Our Heros" - Jennifer will coordinate.